The Triangle of Wound Assessment is a dynamic tool that presents a six-step approach to wound assessment.5
With this simple tool, you will be able to:
- establish a baseline for your assessment of the wound;
- track the healing progression at each dressing change;
- define a wound management plan that can be used by multidisciplinary care teams; and
- ensure direct involvement of the patient in their care planning and treatment decisions.
The Triangle of Wound Assessment should be used at every patient visit or consultation to assess and document the progression of healing as well as any unexpected delays.
The tool helps you to ensure continuity in the way the wound is assessed and treated. It also makes it much easier for you to hand over care of the patient to other colleagues, who can easily follow up on the focus points you have identified.
Remember always to refer the patient to a specialist if you observe:
- a less than a 20% improvement in the wound area over a period of four weeks;
- unexpected increase in exudate;
- suspected infection or biofilm;
- increased pain or a general decline in the patient’s health and wellbeing.6
You can download the Triangle of Wound Assessment form here. If you wish to learn more about our Wound Assessment & Management, please visit the HEAL Medical Education programme here.
<< Return to Wound Assessment and Management